Today marks the second Sunday of the advent season this year. As you recall, we focused on the theme of hope during the first week where we looked primarily at 1 Peter 1:3-5 and the idea that through the resurrection of Jesus Christ God offers us new birth into a living hope. And this living hope has everything to do with the inheritance God has promised both Jews and Gentiles alike through His Messiah, Jesus.
This week we’ll build on the theme of hope and focus our attention on love. Together we’ll explore how God loves us, how Jesus modeled God’s love as he walked the earth, and how we are called to love as we live into the new humanity that Jesus has opened up for us.
Today I want to start where I ended the first week by giving you two simple questions to consider as you practice a daily examen this week. Remember, the practice of an examen is to give you an opportunity to slow down, pause, and prayerfully reflect on your day. Here’s a simple outline for you to follow as you close out each day.
- Make yourself comfortable. Light a candle and/or play some soft instrumental music if you like to help with the atmosphere.
- Rest into silence for a few minutes.
- Ask God to lead you through your day or week.
- Review and reflect.
- When did I give and receive the most love today?
- When did I give and receive the least love today?